How to protect your passwords
Passwords are important in maintaining the privacy of individuals as they protect them from the invasion of privacy and any possible loss of information and important details, such as credit identities, information, and finances. It is therefore important for everyone to protect his passwords, and the following are some of the ways of achieving that;
- Users should always pick strong passwords. Any password utilization requires one to avoid using weak passwords that can be easily accessed by intruders mainly the hackers. An example of a weak password is 123456 because such passwords can be easily guessed and tried by anyone to gain access to unauthorized sites. Further, when one is prompted to update or create new passwords, it is important that they avoid easy patterns or pins that can be predicted quickly. Organizations, such as TeamsiD and SplashData usually recommend that users should always create passwords containing at least 12 characters, and should comprise both symbols, numbers, and letters.
- Always ensure the multifactor authentication is efficiently utilized. Normally, most online service providers, such as online banking accounts, Gmail, Yahoo, and Slack enable their users to enhance their security through an extra step that comes between gaining access to their accounts and inserting their passwords. The authentication procedure enables the users to verify their accounts before access and they receive a message code on their devices that they insert to prove ownership before being permitted to use. This process limits intruders from compromising other people's accounts.
- In cases where the biometric option is provided, users are encouraged to utilize it. With the recent advancements in technology, various devices, such as tablets, smartphones, and laptops have enabled users to log in into the devices by the use of fingerprints, and therefore, people are slowly shifting away from the use of passwords. With fingerprints, it is difficult for intruders to gain unauthorized entry into machines and so they guarantee improved security for the owners. Further, the users have the benefit of not having to keep passwords that can be forgotten. Some companies such as HSBC provide services such as touch security and voice recognition to fasten service delivery to clients and improve efficiency.
- Use different passwords for different accounts. Many people prefer utilizing a single password for several accounts. However, this can be risky as it increases their susceptibility. If hackers manage to guess correctly and obtain the password, they can tamper with several other crucial accounts and can lead to loss of important information. Further, this increases one's ability to be scrutinized by several people trying to obtain access to various websites.
- In cases of maintaining several accounts, users should contemplate obtaining the services of a password manager. The main purpose of the password managers is to monitor various passwords for different accounts and their usernames to heighten security. Further, using password managers enables users to save time because they can easily log into their accounts by just entering the usernames and passwords. Important to note is also that they offer synchronization services mainly on passwords for various appliances.
- Do not reveal or disclose your passwords. To effectively ensure that your passwords are protected, one should not give their passwords to anyone as this compromises the security of their accounts.
- Users should not be victims of phishing. Email owners are encouraged to skeptically approach their emails to avoid this challenge. Equally, users are advised to delete those notes containing attachments from unknown people. Importantly, one should avoid opening suspicious files even from familiar senders.